Chartered in 1963, Sandhills Community College is a member of the North Carolina Community College System. Mary Luman Meyer donated 240 acres on Airport Road for the college. The property sits on the dividing line between Southern Pines and Pinehurst. SCC was the first comprehensive community college in North Carolina and the first to offer a college transfer program. The College began classes in 1966.
Dr. Raymond Stone was named the first president of the college. He served for 25 years. Dr. John Dempsey was appointed president of the college in 1989 and serves to this day.
Sandhills Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award associate degrees, diplomas and certificates. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Sandhills Community College.
The College has begun an intensive SCC Archives Project in 2020 to capture elements of the past and preserve them for the future. The first such attempt occurred under Rick Smith, Dean of the Foundation with this two-part Historical Video of Sandhills Community College:
In the Summer of 2018, the College developed an expanded video history that included members of past and present faculty, staff, board members, and foundation donors whose memories bear witness to the impact of educational pioneers and dreamers who have made SCC the College in the Pines. In January 2020, that video became part of our public record here. Look first at the overview chapter of the History of Sandhills Community College. Then follow the succession of links to learn about SCC’s faculty, its staff, the Foundation, our Board of Trustees, our athletes, our community partners, and—most notably—the two men who have served as the presidents for a combined half century of service
Learn more about Sandhills Community College by following the links to the left and above.