Stay off the “No-Fly” List
Multi-Factor Authentication & Recovery Methods
As part of ongoing efforts to protect your personal information as well as Sandhills Community College (SCC) information, the Department of Information Technology will enable mutli-factor authentication for student Office 365 email services. Multi-factor authentication (MFA) is a security enhancement that requires two forms of verification when using your Office 365 Login and adds critical protection for your sign-on credentials.
The first factor in MFA is your account password. Microsoft MFA requires that you specify how you want to provide the second factor as part of your Microsoft Office 365 account log in. Microsoft MFA provides the following second factor options:
- A text message sent to your smartphone or SMS text-capable telephone providing a code to enter in the login window. (easy setup)
- An automated voice call to a designated telephone number providing a code to enter to sign-on. (easy setup)
- The Microsoft Authenticator mobile app, available on Android and iOS, that requests that you confirm your log in attempt. (more secure, but not as easy to setup)
- If you wish to use this app, please download before continuing.
- Once downloaded, click here and follow the instructions below (images).
You are also required to set up a recovery method which is used to send a code to an alternate email account or set up security questions. For more information on this process please visit setting up recovery method.
If you are using the Microsoft Outlook app to check your Sandhills email please continue to follow instructions; HOWEVER, if you have been using the generic Mail application on your iPhone, you are strongly encouraged to download the Microsoft Outlook app from the Apple Store or use the Web client from the Sandhills webpage.
Links with Additional Information on Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA):