Military & Veteran Services FAQs

Which GI Bill® should I apply for?

Eligibility criteria are complex. The following statements are general snippets about eligibility criteria. Students must file an application with the VA, so they can determine if they are eligible and the conditions of their eligibility.
  • Post-9/11 GI-Bill® – (Chapter 33)
    • Served on active duty for at least 90 aggregate days on or after 09/11/2001 or discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. Must waive all other educational benefits. Benefits may be transferable to spouse and children. Complete VA Form 22-1990 (Veteran) or VA Form 22-1990E (dependents).
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty – (Chapter 30) – (Contributed $1200 while on Active Duty)
    • The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits.  Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. Complete VA Form 22-1990.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve – (Chapter 1606)
    • The MGIB-SR program may be available if you are a member of the Selected Reserve/National Guard.  Complete VA Form 22-1990.
  • Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program – DEA (Chapter 35)
    • Dependents’ Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 36 months of education benefits.  Complete VA form 22-5490.
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment Program –VR&E (Chapter 31)
    • Helps veterans with service-connected disabilities prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs through educational opportunities. Contact the VA State Regional Office for an appointment.
  • North Carolina Children’s Scholarship
    • Scholarships may be available for children of certain deceased, disabled or POW/MIA Veterans. Provided by the State of North Carolina (not a federal program).
  • TA Educational Assistance Program (Tuition Assistance)
    • Tuition Assistance may be provided to eligible Active Duty and Reserve members through their respective military units, Federal or State.

Need more information? Go to or call: 1-888-442-4551


Do veterans and dependents receive in-state tuition?

Veterans and dependents qualify for in-state residency even if initial classification is deemed out-of-state. Isakson and Roe Section 1005 requires any beneficiaries residing in-state shall be charged in-state tuition regardless of when they were discharged from the military. This took effect August 1, 2021. Documentation showing military affiliation may be requested.

Student must submit a Letter of Intent Form, located in E-Forms, in order to be billed at the in-state rate.