4.3.2 Requesting Accommodations
4.3.2 Requesting Accomodations
Revised: August 6, 2007; October 1, 2017
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973), as students disclose disabilities, the following actions must be taken in order for Sandhills Community College to provide reasonable accommodations:
- The student provides proof of the disability from a physician, psychologist or other appropriate expert stating the nature of the disability and recommendations for needed accommodations. The documentation must be within three years of current enrollment term at the College (the high school IEP will not serve as a substitute). The documentation must be completed and signed by a licensed or credentialed professional who is a good match for the disability described, include a clearly stated specific diagnostic statement that describes how the condition was diagnosed and its impact, typical progression, and how the condition impacts the individual now, include a description of diagnostic methods, current medications and recommendations for accommodations specific to the disability. The College staff is not able to diagnose disabilities.
- The student provides a list of desired accommodations that he or she thinks will be needed to be successful in the classroom or clinical site and are supported by documentation.
- The Coordinator of the Tutoring Center and Disability Services documents the accommodations that the College will provide as determined from the appropriate documentation and the student-coordinator interview.
- All of the above information is collected by the Coordinator of the Tutoring Center and Disability Services and filed with a copy of the mutually agreed upon accommodations. SCC is a self-disclose campus. Copies of the accommodation letters are provided to the student to share with instructors should the student so choose.
- The accommodations are reviewed at the beginning of each semester in which the student wishes to receive accommodations and adjustments are made as needed.