Medical Office Administration
The Medical Office Administration Curriculum prepares individuals for employment in medical and other healthcare related offices.
Course work will include medical terminology; information systems; office management; medical coding, billing and insurance; legal and ethical issues; and formatting and word processing. Students will learn administrative and support functions and develop skills applicable in medical environments.
Employment opportunities are available in medical and dental offices, hospitals, insurance companies, laboratories, medical supply companies, and other health-care-related organizations.
Because the use of computers is integral to this curriculum, some courses are delivered in an online format.
- Instruction is delivered through a combination of traditional, hybrid, and online classes.
- State-of-the-art computer labs are available with current office software.
- All courses are taught by experienced faculty who hold a graduate degree.
- Instruction is augmented through guest speakers, career fairs, and on-site visits to local medical offices.
- Students participate in a job-shadowing module in a local medical office.
- The program has a high job placement rate for graduates.
- Local employers report a high satisfaction rate with graduates.
- All graduates are included in a professional resume booklet mailed to 250+ local employers yearly.
Medical Office Coding
The Medical Office Coding certificate is designed for students who have completed their Medical Office Administration degree and would like to further prepare for specialized positions in coding. This certificate prepares students for positions in medical and allied health facilities requiring specific knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT codes and computerized billing software.
With increased regulation and reduction in payments to physicians, the demand for certified coders who can better capture lost revenue has never been greater. These advanced courses prepare individuals to sit for the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) exam.
Instructor, Program Coordinator
105 Meyer Hall