All SCC students must submit a Graduation Application and successfully complete all course requirements in their program of study. Our commencement ceremony is held in May and all fall, spring, and summer graduates for the academic year are eligible to participate.
Steps to Graduation
Please follow the steps below to successfully complete the graduation process:
- Meet with your advisor to review your academic progress and verify that you are eligible to apply for graduation in the 2018-19 academic year.
- Log in to WebAdvisor and click on “View Account and Make Payments” to access Self Service. Click the home button on the left, then “Graduation Overview” to begin the application process. If you do not see your major listed please go to the Student Success Center to complete a Change of Major form.
- Answer all required questions and be sure to spell your name exactly as you want it to appear on your diploma in the “Preferred Name on Diploma” section. Once submitted you will not be able to edit your application! Make sure your application(s) is submitted by the appropriate deadline and please note that you must submit a separate application for each degree, diploma or certificate. Application(s) are required whether or not you intend to participate in the graduation ceremony. A confirmation email will be sent directly to your SCC student email.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Registrar, and an email will be sent within 3 weeks of receipt of your application. The email will notify you and your advisor of the remaining classes needed to complete your requirements. Please work with your advisor to ensure you are properly registered for these classes in the upcoming semester(s).
- All students participating in the graduation ceremony must wear an SCC cap and gown. The SCC Bookstore will provide caps and gowns for pre-order during the Spring semester. All inquiries about caps/gowns should be directed to the bookstore at (910) 695-3789.
- Additional information will be emailed throughout the spring semester, and written instructions will be mailed in April pertaining to graduation rehearsal and ceremony. The graduation ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 11, 2019.
Please feel free to contact the Office of Records and Registration at any point in the process with any questions or concerns. We want you to be successful every step of the way!
Graduation Application Deadlines:
Fall 2018 Completers – November 8, 2018
Spring/Summer Completers – February 7, 2019
*Please Note: Walking across the stage during the commencement activities does not mean that you have “graduated”. You must complete all course requirements before receiving a diploma.
How to Apply
You are required to meet with your advisor before applying for graduation. After you have met and reviewed your academic progress, login to Self Service and click on “Graduation Overview” to begin the application process. Applications must be submitted by the designated deadlines.
In order to earn a degree from Sandhills Community College you will need to meet the following general requirements:
- Meet any grade requirements for course(s) such as a grade of “C” or higher for Health Science majors.
- Earn a minimum of a 2.00 grade point average in your program of study.
- Successfully complete 25 percent of course credit hours of the certificate, diploma, or associate degree requirements at Sandhills Community College, with that 25 percent coming from major and other major hours, and not from general education hours, for the program of study. The Director of Records and Registration verifies completion of 25 percent as part of the graduation application process.
- Successfully complete course requirements as prescribed in the Catalog in effect at the time of entry into the program. If students have an interruption in enrollment from their designated program of study of two or more years, they will be subject to the program requirements prescribed in the Catalog in effect upon their re-entry into the program.
- Submit a current graduation application to the Office of Records and Registration after you have met with your assigned advisor.
- Clear all financial obligations to the college.
Honors: Students are eligible to graduate with honors if their major (only courses included in major can be used) GPA is a 3.5 or higher for Associate Degrees or Diplomas.
Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.50 – 3.74
Magna Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.75 – 3.89
Summa Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.90 – 4.00
Phi Theta Kapa coordinator: Jackie Babb
President and Deans List coordinator: Julie Voigt
How many family members can attend the commencement ceremony?
There will be two tickets issued to each student in case of inclement weather. If inclement weather is not an issue, there is no limit to the number of guests that may attend.
When will my degree information appear on my transcript?
Graduates can expect degrees to be posted on their transcripts approximately 4 weeks after the graduation date. When ordering a transcript please select “After Degree Completion Statement is Posted”.
What is an evaluation?
When you meet with your assigned advisor, they will run an evaluation (EVAL) which will list completed, and remaining courses needed for graduation.
I am completing more than two degrees, do I need more than one graduation application?
If a student is applying for more than one degree, a separate graduation application is required for each certificate, diploma, or degree. Students cannot apply to graduate from both the Associate in Science and Associate in Arts degree programs for the same academic year. Also, students cannot apply to graduate with the Associate of General Education or the Associate of General Occupational Technology if they are graduating or have graduated with another associates degree ( A.A.S, A.S, A.A).
When will I receive my diploma?
Your diploma will be mailed approximately 4 – 6 weeks after the commencement ceremony. Verification of degrees/diplomas/certificates takes time so please be patient as we try to expedite this process.
How can I order a duplicate diploma?
A replacement diploma costs $10.00. You can fill out the form, or you can submit a request in writing for a replacement. Please be sure to include: Your name at time of graduation, dates of attendance, program of study, mailing address, hand written signature, date of birth, and a current contact number. A check or money order should be made payable to Sandhills Community College. Please note that diploma replacement requests take up to 7 days and can not be expedited with an extra fee.
Sandhills Community College
Attn: Business Office
3395 Airport Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
Where do I order my cap and gown?
All inquiries about gaps and gowns should be directed to the bookstore at (910) 695-3789. The SCC Bookstore will provide caps and gowns for pre-order during the Spring semester. Click here for more information.
How will I know about graduation rehearsal?
Additional information will be emailed, and written instructions will be mailed in April pertaining to graduation rehearsal and ceremony. The graduation ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 11, 2019.