Ensuring Successful Benefits Certification
A few things are essential to know when using VA education benefits:
- Certification will not be made until the SCC VA Office receives all documentation, to include a course schedule each semester. It takes 60-90 days from the date of certification for benefits to start. See “Additional Required Documents” for more info.
- Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress under the same standards as financial aid recipients in terms of maintaining a cumulative 2.0 GPA and a cumulative completion rate of 67%.
- The VA will not pay for enrollment in the following:
- course audits
- repeated courses previously passed
- credit by examination
- courses not required in chosen curriculum
- Continuing Education classes
- dropped or withdrawn classes
- It is the veteran’s responsibility to clear any problems concerning payments with the VA.
- First, the veteran should check with the SCC VA Office, located in Boyd 120, to make certain that all necessary paperwork has been processed.
- Then, if there are any problems after the paperwork is in order, the veteran should call the VA toll-free number (1-888-442-4551) between 9 AM and 4 PM Mondays through Fridays.