Immediate Threat of Workplace Violence
In certain cases, an individual may become violent without warning. It is important for staff to remain calm, evaluate the situation and summon assistance immediately.
Employees should utilize the safest means available at the time to notify campus security.
- Do not attempt to challenge a violent individual.
- Off-campus sites: Immediately call the police by dialing 911, or 9-911. Remain calm and listen to the dispatchers instructions.
- When possible, call the main campus switchboard operator (692-6185). The switchboard will alert campus security of the situation.
- If engaged in dialogue with the individual, attempt to calm the individual. If the situation escalates, disengage as soon as safely possible.
- Employees should secure themselves in an area removed from the situation and remain there until security advises otherwise.