Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) & Transfer Eligible Courses

How will my Classes Transfer to a University?

One of the most important advantages for high school students who take college courses at Sandhills is the opportunity to earn college credits tuition-free prior to college enrollment. Students who plan to attend an institution of higher learning after high school graduation, whether a community college or university, should determine the best course plan that will benefit their college education the most.

Many students who seek a degree after high school graduation have to complete a basic general education core group of courses. This is especially true for students planning to earn a bachelor’s degree.

Transfer of college courses to a university is on a course-by-course basis. According to the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) between the University of North Carolina (UNC) System and the North Carolina Community College System, upon admission to an NC public university, a community college student who satisfactorily completed a transfer eligible course(s) with a grade of “C” or better will receive credit for the course(s). The receiving institution will determine whether the course will count as general education, major, or elective credit.

Some community college courses are designated as Universal General Education Transfer Component (UGETC) courses.  Courses designated as UGETC courses will transfer with the general education designation. The designation of a college transfer course is found in the “Course Descriptions” section of the Sandhills Community College General Catalog published online at Students should always work with an admissions counselor at their transfer institution to ensure courses are meeting institutional requirements.

In addition to the sixteen universities of the UNC System, the following private colleges and universities have also endorsed the Independent Comprehensive Articulation Agreement:


Barton College Belmont Abbey College Bennett College
Brevard College Cabarrus College of Health Sciences Campbell University
Catawba College Chowan University Davidson College
Duke University Elon University Gardner-Webb University
Greensboro College Guilford College High Point University
Johnson C. Smith University Lees-McRae College Lenoir-Rhyne University
Livingstone College Louisburg College Mars Hill University
Meredith College Methodist University Montreat College
N.C. Wesleyan College Pfeiffer University Queens University of Charlotte
St. Andrews University St. Augustine’s University Salem College
Shaw University University of Mount Olive Wake Forest University
Warren Wilson College William Peace University Wingate University


Other colleges and universities not listed may also award credit for college courses taken at Sandhills during high school. Students should contact an admissions counselor at the institution of their choice to inquire about course transferability. For more detailed information, please visit


If a student is transferring to another community college in North Carolina, courses completed with grades of “C” or better will transfer to the receiving North Carolina community college.