Foreign Student

1) View our programs

The term “Foreign student” is used to designate students who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents of the US (also known as Resident Aliens, Permanent Residents, and Green Card holders). Applicants and students who are in the US in a non-immigrant visa status or are overseas and need a student visa to enter the US for study purposes are foreign students and must submit additional information to the admissions office.

To be admitted to Sandhills Community College and to receive a U.S. Department of Justice Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20A-B), foreign students must be high school graduates and complete the following steps by March 31 for the fall semester.


2) Have a sponsor

The sponsor must attest through a notarized affidavit that he/she will assume all responsibility for the student, will provide all food, housing and transportation for the student, and will bear all educational and other expenses of the student.

If you have additional questions, contact the Admissions Office at 910-695-3781.


3) Apply to Sandhills

Complete free online admission application. As part of the application process, you must complete your online residency interview before your application will be submitted.


4) Submit your foreign transcripts

Submit official transcripts from your foreign high school and any foreign colleges attended.

Foreign college transcripts must be translated into English with a comprehensive course-by-course report before the Office of Records and Registration at Sandhills will evaluate these documents for potential transfer credits. Sandhills will accept official course-by-course foreign college transcript reports from companies that are members of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE) or the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).

Students must contact the company directly and instruct them to mail an official report directly to Sandhills. Students also must request a course-by-course evaluation. Document-by-document evaluations will not be accepted by Sandhills for transfer credit. Contact the Office of Records & Registration at (910) 695-3739 for further information.


5) Take the TOEFL

Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have the results sent to us.  Students must achieve a total score of at least 68 on the Internet based tests (IBT).  (Not applicable if native language is English.)When items 1 through 4 are completed, you will be notified of your admission status.

Upon arrival to the United States you will complete the following steps:


6) Placement


7) Attend Orientation & Register for Classes

You are required to attend an orientation where you will register for classes.  In addition to registering, you will learn about the college, hear from financial aid representatives, meet your instructors, and discover campus resources.


8) Pay for your Classes

Foreign (F-1) students will be charged out of state tuition.  In addition, foreign students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans benefits.