Application Process: VA Education Benefits and Enrollment

Complete the following steps to apply for VA education benefits and enroll at SCC as a degree-seeking student.

  1. Apply for VA Education Benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs at You will need to complete the steps as instructed on the VA webpage to learn your eligibility status.
  2. Apply to Sandhills Community College as a degree-seeking student.
    • To be eligible for VA education benefits, you must be enrolled in an approved curriculum program and take only courses required for graduation in your chosen curriculum program.
    • You will be required to attend orientation prior to registering for classes your first semester. Information regarding orientation dates and times will be sent to you in your SCC admissions acceptance letter.
  3. Submit all official military, college, and high school transcripts to the SCC Admissions Office.
    • All official transcripts must be received prior to certification of VA education benefits.
    • The college recognizes prior military training and is often able to award college credit based on recommendations from the American Council Education.  Students seeking credit for military experience should request a Joint Services Transcript (JST).  To find out more information on how to request a JST, please visit  For Air Force transcripts visit Upon receipt of the transcript, students will receive written notice from the Office of Records and Registration of transfer credit awarded.  Additionally, students can view awarded transfer credit in WebAdvisor.
  4. Either complete our college placement testing or be deemed exempt.

    Am I exempt from the placement test?
    If the answer is “yes” to any of the following questions, you may be exempt from the placement test.

    Have you completed college level English and math courses at any college or university? (See #3 above.)

    Will you (or have you within the last five years) graduate(d) from a North Carolina high school with an unweighted GPA of ≥ 2.6 and four qualifying math classes?

    If you are unsure of what a “qualifying math class” is,

    contact the SCC Admissions at 910-695-3738.

    Have you taken the ACT or SAT within the last five years and earned a minimum qualifying score of:

    SAT – Evidence-Based Reading and Writing: 480; Math: 530

    ACT – English: 18; Reading: 22; Math: 22

    Have you completed college level English and math courses at any college or university (including SCC)?

    If you are still unsure of your exemption status, email

    Official documentation is required to verify exemption.

  5. Apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If you have questions regarding completion of the FAFSA, contact the Financial Aid Office.
  6. Visit or contact the SCC VA Office for assistance in completing the enrollment steps to the College and to complete the VA education benefit certification process.

Additional Required Documents

VA regulations governing institution-approved training of veterans and/or dependents of veterans require that certain documents be on file prior to certification of enrollment. Students who are using VA education benefits will be required to submit the following documents to the SCC VA Office:

  • Certificate of Eligibility (CoE)
  • DD214-Member 4 and/or Notice of Benefits of Eligibility (NOBE)
  • If you have received VA benefits for prior training, submit Form 22-1995 (Change of Program or Place of Training) online at  Print the confirmation page, and bring it to the SCC VA Office.

Certification will not be made until the SCC VA Office receives all documentation. It takes 60-90 days from the date of certification for benefits to start.