Revised: October 1, 2012
EXTERNALLY FUNDED GRANTS AND CONTRACTS POLICY
- All individuals seeking external funds in the forms of grants or contracts should begin by contacting the Foundation Office as well as by completing the Grant Application Approval Form (see SCC Intranet) with the required signatures of the Executive Vice President or appropriate Vice President before beginning an application or reapplication for such funds. It will be the responsibility of the Executive Vice President or appropriate Vice President—
- to ensure that the purpose of the grant does not conflict with any aspect of the College‘s state purpose—
- to ensure that the College can safeguard its prerogative to control its own activities in light of the regulations imposed by the funding agency—
- to ensure that general institutional activities are not endangered by the acquisition of the grant or contract—
- to ensure that the institution not become dependent on grant funds to support its regular operating budget.
- College faculty and staff who wish to apply for external support for a program, activity, or project to be carried out under the aegis of the College should obtain approval for this grant application prior to submitting proposals. The individual should complete the Grant Application Approval Form and forward a copy to the Foundation Office for review.
- Any applications for grants or contracts which contain salary requests—either for existing personnel, employment beyond the contract period such as summer employment, or the hiring of new personnel—must be approved by the Executive Vice President or appropriate Vice President prior to submission to the funding agency.
- The administration will provide assistance in the preparation of narrative information, budget preparation, planning, or other aspects of the grant process to any employee seeking external funding following approval of the grant concept by the Executive Vice President or appropriate Vice President.
- Prior to submitting a proposal to the funding agency, a Grant Proposal Approval Form (see SCC Intranet) should be completed and filed along with a final copy of the proposal in the Foundation Office.
- All fiscal accounting for the grant or contract must be handled by the College‘s existing accounting office using standard accounting practice and audited annually by the state of North Carolina. The College‘s existing purchasing regulations must be followed for all supplies and equipment bought with grant funds.
- The grant recipient is responsible for any evaluation, follow-up, or continuation applications required by the funding agency. Any changes that occur in the plan of operation after the grant is funded should be made known to and approved by the Executive Vice President or appropriate Vice President.