Veterans Educational Benefits

Sandhills Community College education programs are approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for the enrollment of persons eligible for education assistance benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Those entitled to VA benefits are eligible veterans, participants in the Montgomery G.I. Bill contributory program, active duty military in voluntary education programs, drilling National Guard, drilling Reservists, and spouses and children of disabled or deceased veterans.

The Office of Veterans Affairs in Student Services provides information and assistance to students applying for VA education benefits.  Apply on the VA website  Please see the VA Certifying Official regarding any specific questions regarding these programs.

General Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for VA educational benefits, you must be enrolled in an approved curriculum, taking only those courses required for graduation in the chosen curriculum.

Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress under the same standards as Financial Aid Recipients.

The VA will not pay for enrollment in the following:

  • course audits
  • repeated courses previously passed
  • credit by examination
  • courses not required in chosen curriculum
  • continuing education classes
  • dropped or withdrawn classes

Ensuring Successful Certification

It is the veteran’s responsibility to clear with the VA any problems concerning payments. First, the veteran should check with the VA Office, located in Boyd 120, to make certain that all necessary paperwork has been processed. If there are any problems after the paperwork is in order, the veteran should call the VA office toll-free number (1-888-442-4551) between 9 AM and 4 PM Mondays-Fridays.


VA regulations governing institution-approved training of veterans and/or dependents of veterans require that certain documents be on file prior to certification of enrollment. To request the required application, please contact the VA Certifying Official at (910) 695-3902 or

Certification will not be made until the VA Certifying Official receives all documentation. It takes 60-90 days from the date of certification for benefits to start.

Required documentation is as follows:

  • Application for Admission to SCC with all required documentation.
  • Proper application for VA benefits (Form 22-1990, 22-5490, or 28-1990) and all required supporting documentation, including but not limited to the following items:
    • Certified copy of member 4 of the DD-214, or National Guard form DD-2384 “NOBE” signed by the Unit Commander.
    • Copy of marriage certificate (if applicable).
    • Copy of divorce decree (if applicable).
    • Dependent children’s birth certificates (if applicable).
  • Official high school transcript or GED scores and all academic transcripts from each college previously attended.

If VA benefits have been received for prior training, the student must submit form 22-1995, Change of Program or Place of Training.

Helpful Links

Veterans Benefit Programs

Federal Work-Study Program

Institutional Work-Study Program

Please go to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs G.I. Bill Website for much more detailed information.


Teresa Taylor, VA Coordinator
122 Katharine Boyd Library