Enrolling in a Distance Learning Course
Applying for Admission
Prospective students may apply for admission as a degree-seeking student, or as a special credit, non-degree-seeking student by completing an online application available through the College Foundation of NC, or by printing and submitting a paper copy of the application. Applications are also available on the SCC website, along with instructions for completing and submitting them. Applications submitted electronically will be sent immediately to the college admissions office for processing. The paper (.pdf) version must be printed and mailed to the admissions office.
The Admissions page on the SCC website provides information related to scheduling the Accuplacer placement test on campus. However, if it is inconvenient to come to the SCC campus, students may complete placement testing at the (North Carolina?) community college of their choice and request that their scores be sent to the SCC Testing Center. For admission purposes, the college accepts scores for Accuplacer, Asset, or Compass tests. Tests must have been taken within three years of the application to SCC.
Registration in Online Courses at SCC
Prior to registering for online courses, new students follow the same steps to admission as for traditional courses. For the first semester of enrollment, new students must contact an advisor to enroll in classes. Currently enrolled students can register online through WebAdvisor during designated periods.
SCC allows students to pay their tuition and fees online through FACTS, a third-party payment processing system. Directions for payment are under Admissions/Tuition Information. Payments must be made in full, as the college does not offer payment plans. Tuition and fee payments may also be mailed to the college business office or deposited in a campus drop box, if this is convenient. Specific information and instructions for online payments are detailed on the college website.
Access to Moodle Courses
Online courses are delivered through the Moodle learning management system. You gain access to the Moodle LMS portal once you are officially enrolled in courses by visiting the SCC Homepage. To access Moodle, follow the Get Connected! Stay Connected! guide provided in your Admissions Packet or follow these steps:
- Locate the MySCC link and click one time.
- If this is your first time as a Moodle user OR if this is the beginning of the Fall Semester (when all students must update their password), you will click on the DL Course Information link.
- READ THE ONLINE “POLICIES AND INFORMATION” GUIDE, which will provide directions for establishing or updating your Username/Password. It will require you to 1) comply with the Acceptable Use Policy, 2) provide your 7-digit Student ID number, provide the last four digits of your Social Security number, and 3) type in your date of birth.
- After providing this information, you will 4) select a password and 5) click Submit. The next screen will provide you with your Username, Password, and Email Address. You can print this screen and file your username/password/email address/WebAdvisor in a safe place for future reference.
- It is important to check your SCC email account regularly to keep up with campus and instructor announcements and to check your courses on Moodle at least four times a week to stay current with assignments, due dates, and changes that might occur.