International Student

View our programs

The term “International student” is used to designate students who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents of the US (also known as Resident Aliens, Permanent Residents, and Green Card holders). Applicants and students who are in the US in a nonimmigrant visa status or are overseas and need a student visa to enter the US for study purposes are international students and must submit additional information to the admissions office.

To be admitted to Sandhills Community College and to receive a U.S. Department of Justice Certificate of Eligibility (Form I-20A-B), international students must be high school graduates and complete the following steps by March 31, 2017:

1) Have a sponsor

The sponsor must attest through a notarized affidavit that he/she will assume all responsibility for the student, will provide all food, housing and transportation for the student, and will bear all educational and other expenses of the student.

If you have additional questions, contact the Admissions Office at 910-695-3781.

2) Apply to Sandhills

Complete free online admission application. You must complete your online residency interview before your application will be submitted.

3) Submit your international transcripts

Submit official transcripts from high school and any colleges attended.

International college transcripts must be translated into English with a comprehensive course-by-course report before the Office of Records and Registration at Sandhills will evaluate these documents for potential transfer credits. Currently, World Educational Services, Inc. (WES) is the only company from which Sandhills will accept comprehensive course-by-course foreign college transcript reports.

Students must contact WES directly and instruct them to mail an official report directly to Sandhills. Students also must request a course-by-course evaluation. Document-by-document evaluations will not be accepted by Sandhills for transfer credit. Contact the Office of Records & Registration at (910) 695-3739 for further information.

World Educational Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 745 Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10113-0745,

Phone: (212) 966-6311
Phone Toll Free: 1-800-937-3895
Fax: (212) 966-6395

4) Take the TOEFL

Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have the results sent to us.  Students must achieve a total score of at least 68 on the Internet based tests (IBT).  (Not applicable if native language is English.)When items 1 through 4 are completed, you will be notified of your admission status.

Upon arrival to the United States you will complete the following steps:

5) Are you exempt from the placement test?

6) Attend Orientation & Register for Classes

Once you have taken the placement test or been deemed exempt, you are required to attend an orientation where you will register for classes.  In addition to registering, you will learn about the college, hear from financial aid representatives, meet your instructors, and discover campus resources.

7) Pay for your Classes?

International (F-1) students will be charged out of state tuition.  In addition, international students are not eligible for financial aid or veterans benefits.